Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lone Star Legend

Lone Star Legend, by Gwendolyn Zepeda (January 2010)

I've been reading Gwen's writing for more than a decade, since I "met" her on a message board sometime in the mid-90s and found out she had a blog. She's one of the smartest, most genuine storytellers I've encountered and it's been really awesome to start to see her work published. I loved her story collection, To the Last Man I Slept With and All the Jerks Just Like Him (2004) and was excited to get my hands on an advance copy of this novel.

It follows Sandy, a blogger who ends up writing for a gossip website, Nacho Papi. When she meets Jaime, a friend of her great-aunt Linda's, she discovers a storyline for the website that makes her one of the site's most popular authors. Unfortunately, Sandy starts to cross the line with the stuff she writes and has to deal with the fallout with her friends and family. Gwen's writing is really sharp, and all the characters are fully formed people I'd love to meet. Each chapter begins with an entry from Sandy's personal blog, and sometimes includes reader comments. Read this one.

No comments: