Friday, August 14, 2009

12. Firefly Lane


Firefly Lane, by Kristin Hannah

Firefly Lane is a lovely story of a friendship that lasts a lifetime. Kristin Hannah is an excellent writer, and I'm so happy the EarlyReviewer program introduced her to me. Both Tully and Kate seem real and true to me, though I had a hard time sympathizing with Tully a lot of the time. Kate, who seemed kind of boring and unambitious in the beginning of the story, really grew on me and I eagerly looked forward to "her" chapters.

I'm also sucker for novels set in western Washington state, since that's where I'm from. Kristin Hannah gets a lot of the little details right, dropping in both local favorite hangouts as well as the important news of the day. It makes sense for a book that follows a journalist through the years to include the major events of the day, but it also helps set the tone for the various decades the characters inhabit.

The only criticism I have is that the story dragged a bit and the book is overly long (and I like long books). Especially toward the end, there seemed to be a lot of repetition. I'm trying not to spoil anything, because I do recommend you read the book, so this might sounds vague. The final section was kind of dragged out and there seemed to me to be too much of the "resolution" after the climax, if that makes sense. Still, I loved it and look forward to reading more from this author.

No comments: