Friday, August 14, 2009

9. Motif for Murder

Motif for Murder, by Laura Childs (2007)

Whenever I visit my parents, I raid their bookshelves. Mom's gotten into Laura Childs' scrapbooking and tea shop mystery series' lately. If you're not familiar with the scrapbooking series, it's set in New Orleans, post-Katrina. The scrappy (I can't resist) heroine is Carmela Bertrand, who in this book, is trying to reconcile with her husband Shamus, the scion of a wealthy family. Shamus is kidnapped, his uncle is murdered, and Carmela sets out to solve the crimes.

While this was kind of a typical amateur sleuth story, I liked the characters and the settting a lot. Usually, my taste in mysteries runs toward those set in Seattle, Sweden, or England, but I'm branching out a bit lately. I'd read more of these, probably when I next go see my parents.

No comments: