Friday, August 31, 2007

47. JPod

JPod (Douglas Coupland, 2006)

JPod was fun. It's definitely similar to Microserfs, as so many others have mentioned. That was a selling point for me, as I really liked Microserfs, the second best in Coupland's oeuvre. I still maintain that Shampoo Planet is the best Coupland and that Generation X is actually kind of boring. All true.

This time around, I actually enjoyed reading the weird stuff interspersed in the narrative. I'm not sure whether that means my attention span is improving or the weird stuff is getting more interesting. There's no plot worth describing. The characters and dialogue are what kept me interested. It's definitely a lightweight book full of pop culture references and a very odd self-referential storyline. It's like meta-meta. Don't read this unless stuff like that doesn't bug you. I liked it, but can see why it's annoying.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not yet had the pleasure of reading Douglas Coupland. Thanks for the info.

Kaijsa said...

You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by!