Thursday, August 16, 2007

46. In Persuasion Nation


In Persuasion Nation (George Saunders, 2006)

Last year at Bumbershoot, I went to the George Saunders reading because my friends Melanie and Ed wanted to go. I hadn't read any of his stuff and didn't really know what to expect. It turns out he's an excellent reader, and his work really lends itself to being read aloud. I read the first piece, "I Can Speak," out loud to my friend the other day, and while I don't think I'm all that good a reader, it was kind of fun. Anyway, after the reading, I was all excited and bought In Persuasion Nation and stood in line for Saunders to sign it. Then I forgot all about it, even though a different friend lent me two more of his books, which sit unread in my living room stack. (That reminds me I need to finish them so I can return them when I go back to Seattle at the end of the month.) I came across my untouched copy of In Persuasion Nation again recently when I was organizing my luggage. It seems I tucked the book into the outside pocket of my littlest suitcase, which I guess I didn't unpack completely. So I decided it was about time to read it.

I found this collection a bit uneven. Some of the stories are great, but others left me cold. I particularly disliked "The Red Bow." Don't get me wrong; the best stories made up for the ones I didn't love. I'd definitely recommend Saunders after reading this and I'm looking forward to Pastoralia and CivilWarLand. Maybe books of short stories just aren't totally my thing. I have a really hard time finishing them. In fact, I've started and stalled on three other collections that sit here on my nightstand, mocking me. I always like reading one or two, but then get hungry for the satisfaction of an entire novel and move on without finishing.

No comments: