Sunday, August 12, 2007

43. In the Drink


In the Drink (Kate Christensen, 1999)

The New York Times reviewed Christensen's new book, which sounded interesting, so I requested it from the library along with her first novel, In the Drink. The blurbs on the jacket almost convinced me to give it a pass, but I'm glad I pressed on. Several reviews compare Claudia, our heroine, to Bridget Jones, but that's to be expected now that BJ is considered the prototype for chick lit protags. Claudia and Bridget aren't really all that alike except that they're both in debt and prone to making poor decisions.

Claudia's a different kind of mess, though. She drinks too much, has a terrible job she's terrible at, and spends her money on takeout and vodka instead of rent. She's unfortunately too believable. One thing that makes this book a little different from true chic lit is that it's really not a romance. It's kind of lightweight and quick, but it's not dumb. I liked it.

No comments: