Saturday, August 11, 2007

42. The Brooklyn Follies


The Brooklyn Follies (Paul Auster, 2006)

Hey, two NYC books in a row. I don't know about you, but I often have amazing affection for authors I studied in school. I took a lot of really amazing classes in college, one of which was on narratives of the city. We read Paul Auster's New York Trilogy, and I've loved him and wanted to read more of him ever since. I just ordered some of his stuff for the library and snagged this one off the new books shelf as soon as it came in.

Read this book! It's all about family, especially the family you create for yourself. It's about having your heart broken, over and over, and figuring out how to go on and finally heal. I loved it. There's no way I can describe it without sounding cheesy. It should have read as cheesy, but it doesn't. Basically, the protagonist/narrator is Nathan Glass, who has survived cancer but has nothing to live for and no real plan for his life. He moves to Brooklyn and starts making re-making connections with other people. I can't describe it. Just read it.

No comments: