Sunday, April 29, 2007

21. Vampire Kisses


Vampire Kisses (Ellen Schreiber, 2003)

The first of two vampire-themed young adult books I read this weekend, Vampire kisses is an engaging teen romance. Raven, the only goth kid in "Dullsville," is obsessed with the mysterious boy who recently moved into the creepy mansion on the hill. While the love interest himself isn't that interesting, I like Raven a lot and really enjoyed her relationships with her family and the other kids at school. The secondary characters are really interesting, and I found myself wanting to learn more about Ruby, Becky, and even little brother Billy (aka Nerd Boy).

During my YA materials class in library school, some YA librarians gave us each a few review copies of books that were reviewed but not selected for YALSA awards. This was one of mine, but I only just got around to reading it. Since I picked this up in 2004, Schreiber has written three sequels, but I'm a little leery of its series potential. I rather liked the unresolved ending of this book, so I might leave it at that.

No comments: