Saturday, April 21, 2007

19. Choosing Civility


Choosing Civility (P.M. Forni, 2002)

This is another selection from a book discussion group on campus. It probably wouldn't have been on my radar otherwise. I've always been fascinated with ettiquette and have developed strong opinions on the subject, parsing out rules that I believe in implicitly and those I have no use for. Forni's book isn't exactly a primer on ettiquette; it's more a reminder of how we should treat one another. It's mostly common sense, but bears repeating. I like that Forni calls the book " a handbook for the practical use of civility." The 25 rules are a nice guidelines for all aspects of life, both in the workplace and out. It's nice to see such a well-written little reminder of the ways we can be more thoughtful, or maybe mindful of the ways we interact with others.

No comments: