Saturday, April 21, 2007

18. The Bookman's Wake


The Bookman's Wake (John Dunning, 1996)

I probably shouldn't have started with the second book in this series, but I guess I can go back to the beginning later. A colleague lent this to me because it's not only a mystery set in the Seattle area, but it's by a Denver author. The PNW and MW collide! I liked this a lot, too. Dunning, like most mystery writers I like, writes what he knows and it shows. He's a bookseller and so's his hero, Cliff Janeway. This story reminded me of Johnathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware mysteries a bit, in style more than theme. It's been a while since I read a 400+ page mystery, too. It seems like so many I read these days are half that length.

I'm sure I'll revisit Janeway again. Dunning has a great sense of just how far to take his readers into the intricacies of bookselling and collecting so they remain interested and don't get bogged down in tiny details irrelevant to the story. I dig that.

No comments: