Saturday, April 7, 2007

12. First Avenue


First Avenue (Lowen Clausen, 2000)

A colleague lent me this book after hearing I like Seattle mysteries. It's great. I was still a kid in Seattle in the 1980s, but I remember how gritty the 1st Ave area was back then. Clausen, who was a SPD cop himself, writes characters really well and captures the feeling of the rainy city,. A lot of the story takes place in cars or little businesses, giving the action an appropriately claustrophobic feeling. Officers Sam Wright and Kathleen Murphy are equally intriguing and not the typically emotionally damaged nior detectives, though Sam is necessarily a little mysterious. He also takes the lead in the story. All of the storylines--the murder, the lawyer girlfriend, the person from Sam's past--intersect a little implausibly, but the coincidences aren't so outrageous that it bothered me much. Now I have another author to follow.

No comments: