Sunday, December 28, 2008

27. Bridge of Sighs


Bridge of Sighs, by Richard Russo

Stuck at the Denver airport with no reading material and flight after flight being canceled, I headed to the bookstore to buy something to keep me occupied. I thought I'd just get the last Twilight book, but then scanned the shelves and came upon Bridge of Sighs. I vaguely remembered reading that Russo had a new book out, but didn't know any of the details, but I grabbed it up and am so happy I did.

Like the amazing Empire Falls, this one is the story of a regular guy in a small town. This time, the guy is Lou, or Lucy as he's known, much to his dismay. Lucy's writing the story of his life, starting at around age five. We read his story interspersed with his present-day reality and later, with his estranged best friend Bobby's present-day and earlier stories. It sounds complicated and it must be so difficult to write, but Russo does it so elegantly that it's perfect. The world he invents is as real as our own and I didn't want the book to end. It's amazing.

No comments: