Sunday, December 28, 2008

23. The Satanic Verses

The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie

I actually read this one back in September, in preparation for Rushdie's visit to campus and because I had somewhat foolishly agreed to co-facilitate two book discussions.

It took me three tries to read the first chapter. It's totally disorienting and I couldn't keep the two main characters' names straight or what was happening. After this, it got easier, but I was never sure if things were happening for real or in somebody's dream.

The Satanic Verses is an amazing novel, and one I think needs rereading to appreciate. I was trying to move through it quickly so I'd have it done for the discussions, but slowly enough to have something to say about it. Next time I read it, I'll be more careful to make connections between the plot and characters and history and religious symbolism.

No comments: