Sunday, December 28, 2008

24. It's Not About the Money

It's Not About the Money, by Brent Kessel

A few weeks before Thanksgiving, I joined a book discussion at my yoga studio. The author of the selection had been on NPR a few days before, and I'd enjoyed hearing him speak, so I thought it would be interesting and another way to meet more people in the yoga community in Laramie.

This book didn't really float my boat. The exercises Kessel offers to get people thinking about their relationship to money are pretty good, and I like his approach to happiness and financial security. The problem is that it's too simplistic to tell people that they aren't happy or don't feel secure because they have unhealthy relationships to money. Sure, that's often true. But if you don't have enough money to pay bills, you're never going to feel secure. It's one of those middle class mindsets that always bug me.

Anyway, I realize there's a reason I don't like this kind of book, or this kind of book discussion. It feels like group therapy to me, and to me that always rings false.

No comments: