Monday, April 14, 2008

13. Cheating at Solitaire


Cheating at Solitaire, by Ally Carter (2005)

I thought I'd give Ally Carter another chance and see if her fiction for adults is better than her YA stuff. Cheating at Solitaire is about Julia James, a self-help author famous for writing about the benefits of being single. Of course, wacky hijinx ensue and she meets cute with a hunky struggling actor. The press makes it out to be a scandalous new romance, just as the actor hits it big.

Guess what happens next. Uh, yeah. They fall for each other and it's a series of misunderstandings culminating in a happy ending. To be fair, the characters are pretty appealing and Carter's style is engaging, so I read the whole thing without getting bored. I'd liken the book to potato chips, rather than a full meal. I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't satisfy me and I forgot most of the plot details and character names within days.

No comments: