Friday, March 9, 2007

10. Homicide My Own


Homicide My Own (Anne Argula, 2005)

I went to lunch with a colleague yesterday and, as tends to be the case among librarians, the conversation turned to books. We both read mysteries and were talking about what we like and don't like in a mystery. Neither of us are keen on supernatural elements and would prefer a good nior detective or fiesty female sleuth. It figures that of the two books I read last night, the second made me reevaluate my stance a little.

Homicide My Own
follows a pair of Spokane cops to Salish Island to appprehend a bail-jumper. Quinn, the older, female half of the duo narrates the story. I wasn't prepared for Odd, her young, male partner to start channelling a long-dead island resident, but it worked. The two go about solving the cold case, and hijinks ensue. The books isn't perfect and Quinn uses some really irritating slang terms--maybe they're supposed to be Pennsylvanian, maybe they're just made up--and I can't completely fall in love with any character who doesn't like music, but I can truly say this is one of the most original mysteries I've ever encountered. It's offbeat, but not self-consciously so. In fact, I kept thinking it is surprisingly solid for a first book, but just discovered that it isn't: Anne Argula is a pseudonym.

No comments: