Sunday, February 11, 2007

5. Firetrap


Firetrap (Earl Emerson, 2006)

As I was telling a friend the other day, I'll read just about any mystery set in Seattle, no matter how cheesy. Earl Emerson is one of the best, though. My dad lent me a couple of his books way back when I was still in high school and he always seems to give me the best book recommendations. I've read just about everything in his Thomas Black and Mac Fontana series, but Firetrap is the first stand-alone title I've gotten around to checking out.

Trey Brown, the firefighter protagonist, is a great character who I wouldn't mind meeting again. I was unsure about how well Emerson could capture the voice of an African American character, but I was impressed. Not only did Brown ring true, but Emerson was also able to really capture the complex and tenuous racial politics in Seattle. The story, centering on the investigation following a deadly nightclub fire and the resulting community tension, was gripping enough to keep me up half the night so I could finish the book in one stretch.

The one criticism I have is that Emerson used a shifting narrative, usually moving back and forth between Brown and Jamie Estevez, Brown's co-investigator and love interest. This device was effective when used for witness statements, but I would have preferred a third-person omniscient narrator for the bulk of the novel. Nitpicks about style aside, I really enjoyed the story here and recommend the book. I'm also reminded that Emerson has a few other titles I've missed, so I'll be sure to check them out.

No comments: