Sunday, July 15, 2007

32. Flower Children

Flower Children (Maxine Swann, 2007)

I read about Flower Children in the NYT recently, which prompted me to get it from the library. I like Swann's style and the dreamy quality of her prose, but I got kind of tired of the stories by the end of the book. A few of the stronger stories stand out and I'm betting those were the original material she published in lit journals. I'd like to read Swann's first novel, Serious Girls. From what I've read, I gather that Flower Children is almost a memoir, and I'd like to see what Swann does with different characters.

Several memoirs and memoir-style novels are in my vast bookpile, and for some reason I'm digging them right now. I keep starting and not finishing them, though. Maybe my next task will be to go finish all my half-read books or abandon them for good.

No comments: