Monday, June 25, 2007

30. Easter Everywhere


Easter Everywhere (Darcey Steinke, 2007)

I'm not sure how I feel about Easter Everywhere. The first two thirds of the book were really interesting, but the end seemed to drag for me. It feels weird to criticize a book when it's somebody's life story. Steinke is a lovely writer and she tells her story without explaining the backstory or interpreting its meaning. Very unusual. Her relationship with religion is central to the book, but I thought it got a bit tiresome in the end. I'm sure that's my own bias creeping in. I read part one during lunch, then finished it off when I got home this evening, so it definitely held my attention for the most part.

I haven't read any of Steinke's novels and know of her only from her magazine work, which I've always enjoyed. Perhaps I'd have a better understanding or appreciation for her memoir if I had checked out her longer fiction first. I'm definitely intrigued enough to try.

No comments: