Wednesday, May 16, 2007

27. Flight


Flight (Sherman Alexie, 2007)

This was an impulse purchase at the airport. I knew Alexie had a new book out, but hadn't looked into it yet for some reason. I should just make it a point to go back a read everything he's written, because it's always awesome. Flight is different from anything else I've ever read, really. The main character, Zits, is a half-Indian, half-white foster kid in Seattle. He's always in trouble and has a bad attitude, but is a really engaging, funny character. If somebody described the story to me, I'd think it sounded hokey and wouldn't be interested, so I won't get into much detail. Basically, Zits travels through time, jumping into the bodies of a variety of people in history. It's all fascinating and realistic. Seriously, this is good stuff--I read it straight through on my Seattle-Denver flight and couldn't wait to foist in on all my friends. I've already lent it to one and promised it to another. Read this one!

No comments: